Butternut Squash Soup with Apple and Sage:
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss the cubed butternut squash with a little olive oil and salt and spread in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Roast the squash for 20-25 minutes, until tender and slightly browned.
- In a large pot, sauté the chopped onion over medium heat until softened and translucent.
- Add the chopped apples and sauté for a few minutes more.
- Add the roasted butternut squash, chicken or vegetable broth, and fresh sage to the pot.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and let it cook for about 15 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender or a regular blender, blend the soup until it’s smooth and creamy.
- Stir in the coconut milk and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot, garnished with additional chopped fresh sage if desired.